Find a Water Saving Event Near You
The Water Coalition of Santa Cruz County sponsors a variety of workshops for Santa Cruz County residents. These workshops cover water-saving techniques and conservation principles to help preserve and protect our most valuable resource. For more information and to register for workshops, search on the calendar links below.
Laundry to Landscape: Hands-on Greywater Recycling Installation Workshop
July 28 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$85.00
With our warmest months approaching it’s a great time to plan for ways to water your landscaping or garden as efficiently as possible. This class gives participants information about how to use, re-purpose and redirect your laundry wastewater for landscape and garden irrigation, and get hands-on experience installing a system in a residential setting.
The morning (9am to noon) will be spent in a classroom covering:
- code requirements,
- greywater compatible products and plants,
- greywater parts and materials identification,
- how to calculate irrigation field size and plant water requirements,
- how to construct a mulch basin,
- how to create a design for your system,
- how to maintain your greywater system.
The afternoon (1-4 pm) will be spent at an installation site (a local resident/volunteer’s home) where students will get to:
- participate in an installation with the instructor
- a chance to work with all of the materials and tools
- talk through some of the real-life challenges that come up with each unique installation
Students should bring gloves and their favorite digging tool, a lunch, sunscreen, and a water bottle!
Please note: the workshop starts at 9am, but please arrive by 8:45am to check in. We will take a break from noon-1pm for lunch and travel to our installation site.