And the Award Goes to…
Local Talent, Local Water Heros
More than 50 teams of high school and college students wowed us with their video production creativity and dedication to water conservation! Every year it’s hard to pick just a handful of winners to showcase. Many thanks go out to the students, teachers, and judges who make this contest possible.
The 2018 Save Water Video Contest was open to High School and College students across the Monterey Bay Area. Students were asked to create 26 second long videos to inspire others to save water or prevent water pollution. The entries were judged by staff and board members from local water agencies and the members of the Water Conservation Coalition of Santa Cruz County and the Monterey County Water Awareness Committee.
Big congratulations go out to the winning teams! Each team will share a $500 prize and their videos will be broadcast on local TV stations and shown as previews in local movie theaters in Spring and Summer 2018. An award ceremony will be held at the Soquel Creek Water District Board meeting on May 15th at Capitola City Hall.
Without further ado, the winning videos (in no particular order)
Wasting Water Drives Me Crazy Created by Katie Small from Cabrillo College
Conservemos Agua (en español) Created by Odalis Dominguez, Rocio Morales, and Jayden Mammaril from Aptos High School
Conservando Agua (en español) Created by Trina Daing and Carmen Garcia from Aptos High School
Easy ways to save water Created by Matthew Biehl from Aptos High School
Water Rap Created by Jackson Moore from Cabrillo College
Conserve Tons of Water with This Simple Trick Created by Ben Habelt, Emily Carrillo, and Jordan Broxton from Aptos High School
Don’t Waste Your Opportunities! Created by Holden Barker from Aptos High School
Prince PSA Created by Dasery Ballesteros, Itzuri Gonzalez, and Luis Ceballos from Diamond Technology Institute in Watsonville
2018 Video Contest Guidelines
Inspire others to save water or prevent water pollution by making a short newscast, skit, animation, commercial or even a music video. The winning films will earn fabulous prizes and be broadcast on TV and at local movie theaters!
Your goal is to create a high quality video that convinces people to save and protect water. Choose from one of these video submission categories:
- Inspire residents and/or businesses to take one specific action that conserves water or prevents pollution to our water supply.
- Tell a story about a resident or business that has taken action to conserve our water resources or prevent water pollution.
- Create a visual representation of how much water is saved by taking a specific water conservation action.
- 26 seconds long
- English, Spanish, or both
- Find the full format specifications here.
- The contest is open to high school and college aged students throughout Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.
- You may enter as an individual or a team.
- Your video must be submitted no later than 12:00 am (midnight) on Tuesday April 10, 2018 by completing the following steps:
- Upload your video to YouTube (at high definition).
- Submit one online entry form per team or video.
Judging and Prize Info:
The winning videos will be announced and shown at the awards ceremony in April. Winning videos will also be broadcast throughout the summer on KION TV channel 5 and 46 -KION, Watsonville Channel 70, and Green Valley Cinema.
- Six First Place Videos will get a $500 prize, Two Honorable Mention Videos will get a $350 prize
- Judges will be looking for incorporation of the theme, impact, creativity, informational accuracy, and entertainment value.
Help Spread the Word:
Tell your friends, or share our Video Contest Flyer with your teacher or classmates.
Need More Information?
For Santa Cruz County contact Vai 831- 475-8501 ext. 142
For Monterey County contact Rachel (831) 645-4623
By email VideoContest@WaterSavingTips.org