Find Your Inspiration
Do you want to make a video, but aren’t sure where to start?
We’re here to help.
Choose a video theme.
- Inspire residents and/or businesses to take a specific conservation action. We encourage you to focus on ONE action that a resident can take, and highlight how EASY this is to do, or what resources are available locally to help them achieve their conservation goal. See our list of hot topics below for some inspiration on high priority conservation actions in our area.
- Tell a story about a resident or business that has taken action to conserve our water resources: Here are some stories about people across California who have redesigned their yards to save water. (Hint, there’s videos too!)
- Create a visual representation of how much water is saved by taking a specific water conservation action. Check out this website from the State of California to see some water saving stats. For example, fixing a leak in your home can save 110 gallons a month or 1,320 gallons a year. But how much water is that really? Help others understand the impact of their conservation efforts by coming up with a creative way to visualize those water savings either by showing how much space that takes up or what else that water could be used for. 1,320 gallons of water is needed to produce one pound of cotton. It’s also enough water to take 75 showers. What other ideas can you come up with?
Consider these water conservation hot topics for your video theme:
- Replace your lawn with drought tolerant and beautiful landscaping
- Install a rain catchment tank to water your garden
- Install a greywater Laundry to Landscape system to water your garden
- How low can you go? Retrofit toilets and shower heads to low flow
- Do not flush “flushable” wipes down the toilet – They clog drains and sewer mains!
- Use mulch in your garden to prevent run off and water loss
- Show how to fix an irrigation leak
- Check for leaks at your water meter and track down that water loss!
- Wash your car at a car wash that recycles water
- Pick up dog poop to protect stream water quality
- Take shorter showers and replace old shower heads with ones that have a lower flow rate.
- Show how students can help save water
More Water Conservation Resources
Our website is a great place to start learning about water conservation. Explore our ideas for
- saving water indoors,
- saving water outdoors, and
- our yard and garden resources.
- You can also find information about local rebates that can help you save water (Hint: There’s also a lot more resources listed at the bottom of the drought page!)
Check out the winning videos from previous years for inspiration too!
|All 2018 winning videos||“Wasting Water Drives Me Crazy”
Created by Katie Small from Cabrillo College.
|All 2017 winning videos||“Water Flows”
Created by Jackson Moore, Charlie Diosdado
and Noel Noguez from Harbor High School.
|All 2016 winning videos||“Don’t Sleep on Leaks”
Created by Jose Paredes
from Watsonville High School
|All 2015 winning videos||“Know and Slow Your Flow”
Created by Greg Wilkinson, Nick LaPlaca,
Celeste Ventura and Marcus Solbes-Moran
from Aptos High School